What better way to celebrate the end of the year than to write a blog post for the first time in a year and nine months? Just like every music dork, I treat arbitrary markers of passing time (years, financial quarters, revolutions of the barber pole, etc.) as opportunities to sound off about my favorite albums of the past whatever. And the same goes for the rest of my life -- did I lose weight since 2005? Have I grown wiser since the last time I assessed my wisdom? (the answers are "sort of" and "no," respectively)
So before I resume a semi-regular posting schedule, I figure I'd offer a brief summary of what's happened to me since my last post. Lots of change, but of course the one of you that is reading this (hi mom!) already knew that:
1) April 2006: met a lovely girl who was playing keyboards for a band
2) August 2006: finally stopped all the temping and got a full-time job working at ASCAP, a performing rights organization that gets songwriters paid when their stuff gets performed on the radio and TV.
3) October 2006: came to my senses and fell in love with aforementioned keyboardist, officially began a year+ romance
4) November 2006: moved into a new apartment in east of Hollywood. Picture available here.
5) March 2007: Attended the two-day LA MurderFest, my first ever metal festival
5) April 2007: stopped running the LA Events section of Prefixmag.com, which was eating my soul. Became a lowly staff writer again.
6) June 2007: started writing for LA.com, only to stop a month later when the editor resigned
7) August 2007: joined a gym. Lost ten pounds in a month, then stalled a bit.
8) August 2007: surpassed 2000 albums in my CD collection.
9) December 2007: attended my first opera, Don Giovanni
10) December 2007: broke up with aforementioned lovely keyboardist. Currently single.
And that should bring us up to date. Who knows what 2008 will bring, other than new links to my music writing?